February 2, 2020
The DISARM Foundation is sensitive to privacy issues and recognizes that visitors to this website will be concerned about what information we collect and how we use it. The DISARM Foundation is committed to preserving your privacy when visiting this Website, and this policy discusses our practices.
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
We may ask you to provide personal information voluntarily: for example, you might provide us with your personal information, such as your email address and the entire contents of your email message when you register for an event with us, subscribe to communications from us, and/or to submit inquiries to us. The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information. When you provide personal information to us you agree to its disclosure in connection with DISARM Foundation activities. If you do not wish to have personally identifying information disclosed, we honor all requests to omit individual or organization names from our records. If such a request is made, identifying information will not be disclosed by the DISARM Foundation unless we are legally required to do so.
When you visit our Website, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser type, broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location), and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content on our Website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology.
This Website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our Website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this Website and other media.
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third-party sources (such as through your membership in a group to which we may send correspondence) but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
Who does the DISARM Foundation share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory agency, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA visitors only)
If you are a visitor from the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), this interest will normally be to operate our platform and communicating with you as necessary to provide our services to you and for our legitimate commercial interest, for instance, when responding to your queries, improving our platform, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and if appropriate, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details below.
The DISARM Foundation has implemented procedures to safeguard the integrity of its information technology assets, including but not limited to authentication, monitoring, and auditing. These security measures have been integrated into the design, implementation, and day-to-day operations of this Website as part of our continuing commitment to the security of electronic content as well as the electronic transmission of information. This includes utilization of two-factor authentication on all systems that store sensitive information, encryption provided by third-party hosting providers, regular auditing of user access, a policy of limited administrative and vulnerability scans.
We DO NOT sell or distribute email addresses or other personal information to others for their commercial use. If you provide personal information to the DISARM Foundation, our employees who have access to this information are required to follow appropriate procedures in handling and disclosing your information. All personal information about you or your organization that we receive via fax or mail is physically protected.
We welcome links to the DISARM Foundation’s Website. Although we prefer that you link to our homepage, you may create links to specific pages within our Website. Any individual or organization linking to the DISARM Foundation’s Website must comply with all applicable laws and with the following conditions:
- Unless the DISARM Foundation specifically authorizes you to do so, you may not imply that the DISARM Foundation endorses you, your organization, or your products;
- You may not misrepresent your, or your organization’s, relationship with the DISARM Foundation;
- You may not present false information about the DISARM Foundation;
- You may not link to the the DISARM Foundation Website if you or your organization’s Website contains content that could be construed as distasteful, offensive or controversial, or is not appropriate for viewing by all age groups;
- The DISARM Foundation may change content on our site at any time, causing other organizations to have a broken or incorrect link; and
- The DISARM Foundation is not responsible for misdirected links from external Websites.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country.
Specifically, our Website servers are located in the United States, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to respond to or fulfil any actions you might have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it, or if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in any marketing emails we send you.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
- We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact Executive Director, Jon Brewer: firstname.lastname@example.org.